Saturday, September 13, 2008

My name is Heather and I'm addicted to Buttercream

After 14 weeks of pastry school the class I've been waiting for is finally here--Cakes! I'm sure after all of the buttercream frosting I've made in the past two weeks most people would be sick of it, but not me, can't get enough of the stuff. I truly am an addict. Is there a 12-step program for frosting addiction? Actually, I hope not. I'm not ready to give it up.

Black Forest Cake

Carrot Cake


I made these in class on a day when everyone was hungry. We were just making cakes & freezing them, so we didn't have any snacks. These are Chocolate cupcakes frosted with cherry buttercream frosting. The cherries had been marinating in their own juice plus Kirsch liqueur which made them extra decadent and gave the frosting an amazing flavor. I used the extra boozed up syrup to make ice cream the next day. Yum!

Traditional German Chocolate Cake

Mandarin Orange Layer Cake frosted with Grand Marnier Whipped Cream


This was the most amazing cake EVER. Seriously, this cake may be my Holy Grail, the solution to all of life's problems. It's a white layer cake with fresh strawberries. What makes it so addictive is the frosting: Cream cheese frosting with Malibu Rum, coconut extract, crushed pineapple and a pinch of all spice (the specks on the top of the cake is an additional sprinkling of all spice). This cake is to die for!

Pistachio Layer Cake

Triple Chocolate Torte: Three layers of Chocolate velvet cake, dark chocolate ganache filling and covered with chocolate buttercream

Here's a little fun with marzipan. Remember the talking veggies on The Muppet Show? Yeah, that's what I had on my brain.

Wishing you all buttercream shots!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Wow, those look good. I love those vegetables!! Very cute. I hope you don't mind, but I'm tagging you for a "6 quirky things" post (only if you want to do it, don't feel obligated) - there are details on my blog. :)

Erron said...

Oh darling, it is ever so wonderful to take in your baked goods and to see that you have true aptitude for cakes. It's important for a woman to have such skills so that she can entertain properly and catch herself a good husband, which I just know you will do some day. As for your buttercream addiction, I can only say that the first step in any twelve-step program is to admit your are powerless over the problem...which I believe gives a person authorization to only indulge themselves even further.

andrea said...

oh my - those cakes are amazing! i just want to stick my hand through the computer screen and pick up one of those cherry cupcakes!!

The4Rs said...

Heather, I have to confess, I am right there with you, I adore buttercream. I make it just to lick the spoon and bowl clean when I make cakes. Love your pics, and blog, I sent you a separate email, asking to be included on your site, I already linked to you on mine. Thanks!