Thursday, July 3, 2008

Happy Birthday America!

Howdy campers! And a fine Happy Fourth of July to everyone! I'm seriously trying to be patriotic, but I've been in American pastry hell for the past few weeks. Well, maybe not hell, but I haven't really learned much new or exciting while exploring the wonderful world of classic Amercian pastry. Apparently brownies and pies are about all we Americans have brought to the dessert spectrum. Alas, it's over and I got my A so we can put this chapter to bed. Here are a few of the highlights...





And my final exam presentation, which had a Thanksgiving theme: Pumpkin Pie, Cranberry Crumb Tartlettes, and Chocolate Chip Cookies with dried Cherries.

Yes, I HAD to bring in my needle felted pumpkins to jazz things up. I'm such a geek.

And then came Classical European Pastry (hear angels sing and harps play)

All I can say is don't mess with tradition...or puff pastry. Seriously, I always thought I didn't like puff pastry because I thought it didn't have any flavor. Turns out you just need to make it right, and with butter! So this week has been all puff pastry.

I can't tell you how amazing these are! These are three layers of puff pastry, a layer of chocolate diplomat creme, a layer of vanilla diplomat creme, and topped with fondant and chocolate. The sides are covered with puff pastry crumbs. Soooo good!

Pithivier--Almond Creme is sandwiched between two layers of puff pastry and baked. I love the elaborate sunflower design.


Tarte Tatin--This tart is created by carmelizing apples in a saucepan, taking it off the heat, covering the top of the apples with puff pastry dough and putting the whole saucepan in the oven to bake. You take it out and invert it for service. It's made very much like a pineapple upside down cake. OK, the aluminum foil takes away from the presentation, but it was the end of class when I took the pic.


Close up yummy caramelized apples!

This long weekend is all about finishing up a bunch of swap and mega crafting, so I should have lots of felty pics soon! Have a safe & super fun holiday weekend!

Hugs!

Heather

1 comment: