Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Dessert of the Day: Lemon Blueberry Cake

I finished a new felted sweet treat. This one is a lemon blueberry layer cake with buttercream frosting. I get questions about how needle felting works, so I thought I'd add some photos showing the process.

This one is the start of the lemon slice to top the cake. I use undyed wool roving to create the shapes.

Now I have the basic lemon slice shape and have added the lemony yellow roving on top.


You can see the felting needle poking the "blueberry" goodness into the cake. The whole technique really is just "poke, poke, poke" until you get the roving where you want it. You just have to keep your fingers out of the way because the felting needle is wicked sharp.

Here's a close-up of the lemon, blueberry & mint garnish. To attache the various elements it's still just "poke, poke, poke." Each poke makes the wool fibers bind together tighter & tighter until they are nice & firm & stuck together. It's woolly magic!

And here's the whole cake! I apologize for the bad lighting, I was being lazy & taking quick shots. My bad, please forgive!

Voila! A yummy calorie-free piece of cake! This slice actually really big--it's 3" high by 7" long. I like to call it a Heather size piece of pastry.


I'll get my act together and take some good photos (Ok, better photos) tomorrow and list this new sweet treat in my Etsy Store .

Have sweet dreams!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Heather!

Thanks for stoppin' by my blog!
Your stuff is DELISH!! I LOVE your cupcakes!!!

Emily said...

Yummm!